Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Limas with Brussels Sprouts



So festive!

I've been dying to make the Vegan Lunchbox recipe for Christmas Lima Beans with Chestnuts and Brussel Sprouts since it was first posted two years ago. I even remembered to pick up the heirloom beans at a local farm when I went olallieberry picking in June. Haven't picked up any chestnuts this year though, so I used the last of my Texas pecans. Also, I have no interest in my brussels sprouts "blending into the dish" so I upped the quantity and quartered them instead of shredding, and added a dash of applesauce. Here's the recipe post-tinkering:

Christmas Limas with Brussels Sprouts

1 cup dried Christmas Lima Beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
25 baby Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
2 tablespoons applesauce
3 tablespoons sucanat (unrefined sugar)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Handful pecans

Soak the lima beans overnight in water to cover. Drain, rinse, and place in a medium saucepan with fresh water to cover. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer until the beans are tender, about 40 minutes to 1 hour. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup bean broth.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sprouts and saute until they are tender and browned, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, applesauce ,sucanat, apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup bean broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir together and simmer until the liquid has cooked away and everything is heated through.

Toast nuts for a few minutes in separate pan or oven and add to dish. Adjust seasoning and serve. Extra good with a sprinkle of nice blue cheese.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At March 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Laura Timmerman said...

    Hi Rebecca,

    I am a shell bean lover. I am growing Christmas limas in the garden this year as well as Cranberry Red, King of the Garden limas, Cannellini, Dwarf Horticultural, Jack and the Beanstalk, Coco Bianco, Limelight, Papa de Rola, and Windsor Fava beans....We won't get into soybeans...

    Some of these are new to me, including the Xmas limas so I am pleased to hear you like them.

    I don't know how I will fit everything in the garden but I'm gonna try.
    See you soon.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home