Friday, September 5, 2008

Lemon Zucchini Bread



I don't have a lot of family recipes handed down from my mom, but this is one of them. I recently stumbled across it at allrecipes! Turns out I uploaded it years ago and forgot... lo and behold it's been very popular over there! Best of all, lots of reviewers have tested it with all kinds of wholesome substitutions that I would also prefer now! Thanks guys! In any incarnation it's a delicate zucchini bread, not too sweet. It makes me want to serve tea.

I like to make this in a bundt pan, it's so pretty and gets the texture very even.


I wish I'd thought to make this all summer long... I got to use our backyard zucchini and backyard meyer lemons, and the pearsauce I'd just made from a friend's lovely tree of Bartletts. Here's my latest revision:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups finely shredded and drained zucchini
1/4 cup honey
1/4 sucanat (unrefined sugar)
1 egg
1/2 cup cup applesauce
1 tablespoon safflower or other high heat vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 10" bundt pan.
2. In one bowl mix the zucchini, honey, sucanat, egg, applesauce, oil, and lemon juice.
3. In another bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir in the lemon zest.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the zucchini mixture until just blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake about 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool about 10 minutes before carefully turning out of pan.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home