Saturday, April 19, 2008

Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

After a hot spell last week there was a chill in the air this evening, which was the perfect excuse to make some wintry muffins. They came out beautifully... I doubled the recipe to use up the whole can of pumpkin and came out with 27 regular size muffins and 1 round sheet cake. The original recipe is over here at the Post Punk Kitchen (in honor of my Veganomicon testing) and my slightly edited version is below. I always have some homemade applesauce on hand to substitute for oil, but with these spicy muffins I thought I could get away with digging into my bottomless supply of orange marmalade, and I did like the subtle citrus fragrance it added.

Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sucanat (unrefined sugar)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or from a can)
1 tablespoon soy yogurt
1/2 cup soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce or marmalade
2 tablespoons molasses
Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F. Add liners to muffin tins.

Sift together dry ingredients (flour through cloves). In a seperate bowl, wisk together wet ingredients (pumpkin through molasses). Pour wet into dry and combine. Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way. Bake for 15-20 minutes, till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home