Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tofu Mayonnaise


(Sorry for the less than stellar photo... I figure you can imagine what mayo looks like without much effort on my part.)

Yield: 20 TBL

1 cup tofu
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Add tofu, garlic, mustard, vinegar, and salt to blender. Slowly blend in oil.

---

We made this recipe in class, and I was skeptical. I mean, we didn't even use any special silken tofu. Just the regular firm stuff. But we were all extremely impressed - if you have a decent blender (or if you have a verry crappy blender and are verry patient, as in my case at home) this will turn out perfectly creamy and fool any mayo lover. Best of all tofu mayo will last forever and you don't have to worry about it going bad in your fridge or on the sandwich you take on a hike. And it's vegan. The original recipe called for lecithin, which is an emulsifier, but I didn't feel like buying any, and my mayo hasn't separated after a month.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home