Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Braised Lima Beans




by Rebecca Edwards
(from basic directions at http://wholehealthmd.com)

Yield: 8 servings

Preparation time: about 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 15 minutes

1 small onion
2 Tb olive oil
10 oz lima beans - (fresh, cooked or frozen, thawed)
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
salt and pepper to taste
water or vegetable broth

Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Gently sweat onion with a dash of salt and pepper in 1 Tb oil over low heat, until soft. Add the garlic, lima beans, thyme, sage, and additional oil. Stir to coat beans, cook 1-2 minutes. Add water or broth just to cover, simmer about 10 minutes or until tender. Adjust seasoning to taste.

For a creamier sauce without adding butter, puree a small amount of the beans and stir them back in, or use an immersion blender to pulse for just a few seconds.

---
This recipe was inspired by my breakfast at Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville! My version isn't quite as tasty, but is probably also about 50000% lower in butter.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At May 16, 2007 at 4:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ha ha ha! I recognized it from your blog picture! I'm so glad that Louisville limas made such an impression on you! I'll have to try the recipe.

    Hey, I think you're great. Let's talk sometime!
    xoxo

     
  • At May 16, 2007 at 10:18 AM , Blogger jennafaith said...

    these look super, super delicious. mmmmm.

     
  • At June 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Rebecita said...

    My dad's version sounds a whole lot better than mine! But I'm glad to have provided inspiration.

    He says:

    Hey, I just made your recipe. It's great. I hope you don't mind that i had favas instead of limas, used some fresh scallions along with last night's caramelized videlias, and fresh herbs instead of dried? I whizzed up some of the beans in my little homenetwork rocket and the sauce was great.

    PS, it' s going to go great with the nueske's artisanal ham i just thawed.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home